Find out what’s happening at YOUR library!
Hey, I borowed this from Beck Midle School in Greenville, but I like it. I want you to agree with it!
13 Things to Remember About Using the Library Media Cente @ CMS:
- Follow the 4 Non-Negotiables: Dress Code, Planner, ID Badge, 3 R’s (Rights, Respect, Responsibility)
(My notes–we don’t use planners or ID badges, so we’ll have to figure out some kind of substitute. But the Dress Code and 3 Rights are awesome!)
- Library Media Center hours are 7:30-3:30, Monday-Friday. Students must have a pass written in their planner to visit the library at any time during the day for any reason. (CMS may have to settle for just a pass system.)
- Students should enter the library quietly and use a whisper voice while in the library: RESPECT for the RIGHTS of others to have a quiet place to work.
- Students should leave their area in the library as they found it or better (push in chairs, pick-up trash, leave books in neat piles on tables, etc.) : RESPONSIBILITY for keeping their environment clean and attractive.
- Food, drinks, gum and candy are strictly prohibited in the library : RESPONSIBLITY for maintaining equipment and furnishings. (Though I am considering a special area that will welcome food and drinks…still in the planning process and TBA.)
- Students must have their current year ID badge in order to check out books. (Oh well, we don’t have ab aID system at our school, so this one may have to go.)
- Students may check out as many books as they like from the library, but must remember that they are responsible for anything they check out : RESPONSIBILITY for keeping up with school property.
- Books may be checked out for 2 weeks at a time (except reference books, which are 1 night) but books can be renewed for an additional 2 weeks as long as no one else has requested the book : RIGHTS of others who may want to use the same book.
- Due dates are stamped in the front cover of library books : RESPONSIBILITY for keeping up with due dates.
- Overdue books are assessed fines of $0.05 per day, per book (reference books are assessed $0.50 per day). The ceiling for overdue fines is $5.00 per book.
- Students may not check out additional books, unless assigned by a teacher (novel sets, etc.), if they have overdue books or overdue fines : RIGHTS of students to have necessary materials to complete their assignments.
- Students are responsible for paying for lost or damaged books. Overdue fines, lost books and charges for damaged books will remain on students’ library records as they move from school to school until they graduate : RESPONSIBILITY for taking care of debts.
- Students should use the computers in the library in a RESPONSIBLE manner by following the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) found in their student planner. Students may use the library computers in the morning before school (7:30-8:15) and after school (3:00-3:30) to check school email, play games and view appropriate sites under the direct supervision of the library staff. Computers are for instructional use only during the school day (8:15-3:00) : RESPONSIBILITY for your education. (This one will have to be negotiated too.)