@ the CMS Library!

Find out what’s happening at YOUR library!

Illegal downloader ordered to pay 222Kjudge.jpg

Yes that is the headline! I saw it 2 Saturdays ago in my Saturday paper. You see on October 4th, a Minnesota resident was convicted of illegal file sharing (of copyrighted music) and ordered to pay a whopping $222,000 in penalties and fine.  She is a single mother raising 2 middle school-aged children, and beginning now, one fourth of her paycheck each month will be skimmed off to pay for her crime.  Read the whole article here.

Tell me how that makes you feel?  Do you agree or disagree? Does the crime fit the punishment? I want to know what YOU–CMS  thinks!

Image: ‘Courtroom One Gavel
www.flickr.com/photos/63126465@N00/117048243

28 Comments to “CMS: Are u willing to pay the $$”

1.   sammantha d. | October 16th, 2007 at 8:14 am     

I would hate to have to pay that much money for songs to put on my ipod i would rather just pay the $0.99. I disagree because if they didnt want people downloading music from those websits they shouldn’t have them.

2.   Jesse H. | October 16th, 2007 at 8:16 am     

I don’t get why these websites are still there even thought they’re illegal. Why do people use these sites even though they know there illegal. It just doesn’t make sense to do this.

3.   Justin L. | October 16th, 2007 at 8:19 am     

i would like to say that what you were able to find out was very informative. now more people know not to use limewire or other free websites where u can be able to pay over 100k (100,000) dollars.
    i hope people will find a way to actually delete the entire limewire page. please post more details and i hope i can remeber to read them,

4.   Sam M. | October 16th, 2007 at 8:23 am     

i dont think thery should have it if there is illegal stuff. And if she didnt know it was wrong why would u arrest her. If she didnt know that it was wrong why not narrow it down some or maybe just a little. Now they should take lime wire and share bear.

5.   Spencer C. | October 16th, 2007 at 8:25 am     

I totaly disagree I think it is crazy. I kind of get why Bear share and Limewire are illegal but not really.
    The artist are already rich and still can make a lot more. I really think it is crazy that you cant burn a cd for a friend after you buy one for you. Why do they post those kind of things like bearshare on the internet if they know people are going to break the rules of what your allowed to do. It is crazy and I think they really should change the law.
    That women got a crazy punishment she is single mother with two kids to take care of and she cant afford to pay that kind of money. It is way to crazy!!!!

6.   Brittany C. | October 16th, 2007 at 8:25 am     

Hi i disagree and i agree because the owners of lime wire should’nt put the web page up if it is ilegal. Also i diagree because the government should just take one fourth of the womans pay check until the fine is payed up, the woman has two kids. i agree because the artist that puts music on lime wire needs to make money so you should’nt take the music for free it’s against the law. the artist needs to get rewarded for his or her work!

thank you for your time,
    brittany cail

7.   madison g. | October 16th, 2007 at 8:26 am     

hey i am like u mrs. nelson i agree and disagree i agree becauuse i think that it is wrong to copy peoples music when the artist dont really wont u to. i disagree because if the person that is copying the artist and they dont know that u are not supposed to and i do it to and that is another reason that i agree i take part in copying. i think that jamie shouldnt have been given all of those fines they could have just made her delete all of the songs. and if you really think about it and ask yourself,what if i had 2 kids and i lived from paycheck to peycheck and whaat is i had to pay a huge fine for something i didnt know i wasnt supposed to do, now i dont know if she knew about it , she might have heard about it and not believed it , but then again she might have not known and been in deep shock about it. but i know now and i dont think i will be copying any more songs from somewhere where i am not supposed to.

thank you fore your time.
    madison gore

8.   Wyatt J. | October 16th, 2007 at 8:27 am     

If limewire is illegal yhen why do they have it on the internet? I think if so many people use limewire then they should make it legal its just stupid to make it illegal when they know that nobody cares and that they are going to use it just as much as they would if it was legal. they should just make it legal instead of making it illegal.

9.   ANTHONY C | October 16th, 2007 at 9:18 am     

I think that it should be ok but it is not ok. I think that the women that they charge for geting the songs should have not have been charge so much money for what she did.but I think that they should sotp leting peopel even go on to it.

10.   HUNTER J. | October 16th, 2007 at 9:34 am     

SHE MADE A BAD MISTAKE MAYBE THE PEOPLE SHOULD OF TAUGHT HER NOT TO DO IT NOW SHE IS GOING TO RAISE HER KIDS WITH HARDLY ANY MONEY.

11.   Travaris S. | October 16th, 2007 at 11:37 am     

I wonder why limewire still is not banded.If it is illegal why was it made?I am approved with the punishment they gave that lady.I just ask people to delete the website.

12.   Madison R. | October 16th, 2007 at 11:44 am     

I think that they shoud not have their songs on websits if they do not want their songs to be taken.

13.   katie.g | October 16th, 2007 at 11:44 am     

I dont think it is fare that you cannot get music offline!Because you buy it so you should be able to do anything with it because you bought it!I think they should change that rule it is not fair!she is a single mother with two children she should not have to pay that and get half of her pay check taken away!she should not have to pay they fine is is not fair!she should not have to pay they fine that is my oppinion

14.   Kathryn C. | October 16th, 2007 at 12:43 pm     

I don’t think that was fair because she was single and had two children. I also think that she should of paid when it was the lower price. She should have deleted the music, beacause then she wouldn’t have had to pay the 222k. I also think that the price was WAY to high….she didn’t make that much money, she needs it. Especially since it could have been her children. I think that the price was fair because she refused to pay the chepear price and delete the music. And to think it was only 24 song!

15.   Marissa H. | October 16th, 2007 at 12:47 pm     

I think that the sentence is crazy. The mother has two kids to feed and take care of. It seems like the jury and the judge are heart-less and cold. I bet if they had kids and were sentenced to that then they would know it feels. Of course, I think that websites like that should be banded from the Internet. In my opinion, the are also making the kids suffer too. Jamie Thomas is not an innocent woman but has an unfair sentence and couldn’t be fined that much. Mrs. Thomas, if you are out and reading this blog, I have one question for you. Why did you do it? You should have known that you and your kids were going to suffer in this way.

16.   Madison P. | October 16th, 2007 at 12:47 pm     

I think that this punishment was fair. Because she commited a crime. But I still beleive that the websites like bearshare, etc should be deleted and the people who made the websites should be punished severly, and the government should put a program on the computers to not allow any person to put any websites like this on there.

17.   Savannah F. | October 16th, 2007 at 12:50 pm     

I think that her punishment was one well deserved. Too many people are downloading music illegaly and one person stopped is already an improvement. Even if it wasn’t her who downloaded the music, it’s her computer and it’s her responsibility to make sure nothing like that happens. But, coming from a family with divorced parents, I do have to agree that 1/4 of her paycheck might be too much. I have limited spendings and I cherish what I have, and, I can only imagine what those kids feel like, thomas’s two kids, especially if they were the ones downloading the music. I feel family’s with low money income should be allowed more priveleges, but what she did was too much. I’m glad she got what she deserved, but she’s made all low income family’s look like criminals, and that’s not the case. One stupid thing that somebody else did does not mean everybody else is the same way.

Thankyou.

18.   Sierra G | October 16th, 2007 at 12:55 pm     

I do agree that it is illigal to download songs off of the internet but why would people put things like that so people could do illigal things. Also i do agree that they should make that felon pay all of that money because she had a chance to not pay as much but she didin’ttake that. So i think they should make her pay every bit of it. If I was her I would have just deleted all that bad “stuff” off of my computerlike they told me the first time. Also they even gave her a warning ,before they made her pay all that money, telling her to stop. Right then that’s when i would have deleted all of that bad “stuff” off of my computer. You would think , since she is a single parent, she would have enough sense to know to delete it off her computer if she had known that she would be able to pay that much of money.

19.   Kayla F. | October 16th, 2007 at 12:56 pm     

I disagree that downloading music and making cds for your friends is illegal. I don’t think that this should be illegal because so many people have limewire and things like that on their computer.
    i think that the women in Minnisota got the punishment she diserved because she refused to pay the first fine. If I was that women, i would have paid the first fine I was given. I would have gotten rid of program once the people sent the letter.

20.   Thomas H | October 16th, 2007 at 12:57 pm     

I think that Jamie Thomas deserves a punishment. It can be misleading to not know downloading songs is illegal, but you should still stop when someone says it is illegal. Limewire can be misleading. I mean, who reads the fine print?

21.   tyler b | October 16th, 2007 at 1:00 pm     

I think that wasn’t fair. I think that if people are so concerned about money they should get a second job (or a life.) Most of the time they have a lot more money than most people make in a lifetime. Even newcomers must have a good amount of money from gigs because you should have a good reputation to get a good record deal. The womans a mother too, she’ll need that money to support her family (did the judge forget about college and the price, I mean WHEW!!!) All around that just wasn’t fair to the woman who hade to pay all that money, expecially since the other downloaders didn’t have to pay money for all that they downloaded.

22.   Jennifer Wagner | October 17th, 2007 at 9:29 pm     

I feel that she is unfortunately become a poster child for so many other people doing the same thing…….and I am sorry that her mistake will stay with her a long long time.

However, I also understand that sharing and distributing music that is not yours to do so, is a crime and we are “digital” citizens really need to be aware of laws and not just try to plead ignorance.

I don’t think she will be the first or the last to be fined for what she did. Unfortunately, I don’t think it will stop illegal sharing and distribution of songs and videos.

People will think that they won’t get caught — and then when they do……. well, we shall see.

23.   Carolyn Foote | October 17th, 2007 at 10:04 pm     

Although she should have been more careful, I also think it’s unfortunate.

We need to work to help students/adults be more aware of copyright and what’s allowed and what isn’t.

It’s also too bad that the music copyright laws aren’t adapting to fit our digital times.

24.   diane | October 18th, 2007 at 5:28 am     

Even if she knew the rules, she probably felt that no one would bother to enforce them, especially since she is not rich or famous.

This is a harsh lesson: there are consequences for breaking rules. If the rules are wrong, they need to be changed, but they can’t just be ignored.

25.   Ryley | November 12th, 2007 at 2:09 pm     

I think that this article is wrong and right because the woman I think should’nt have to pay $222,000 for just 24 songs. She should have just tooken their side and paid a smaller fee than she did. She was kind of stupid not to believe that they were coming to see her hard drive if she didn’t erase her songs. She should have listened to the government and should have been more careful. You need to be more careful next time.

26.   Tyler G. | November 12th, 2007 at 2:14 pm     

ouch, well that was kinda stupid i wouldve just pled guilty but no she had to be a hero and fight it. oh well…..
    Rock hard
    Live free
    blades

27.   Anonymous | November 30th, 2007 at 4:44 pm     

I think that the woman deserves her punishment. She is the one who didn’t do what she was told. I kind of feel sorry for her because she has to pay all that money, but I do think she deserves it. I don’t know how she is going to live off of the little bit of money she is now getting and still take care of her children. I guess maybe next time she will think twice about what she does on the internet.

28.   Unknown | November 30th, 2007 at 4:45 pm     

I agree with Tyler G. I think that instead of being a hero, she should have just pled guilt instead of trying to be a hero. I guess she learned her lesson!