@ the CMS Library!

Find out what’s happening at YOUR library!

I discussing in recent weeks the ease of downloading songs from P2P file sharing sites, other discussions have been stirred up in the library, and one that keeps coming up is students who have a MySpace page AND that some of these same students have posted to their MySPace page their favorite songs as background music.

Most middle school students are b/w the ages 11-13.  Yes, there are a few a little younger and a few a little older than this age range, but the vast majority hit the age range 11-13 exactly.

I feel the need to clue you in on some rules that I feel are flagrantly being broken by many of our students–and seek to enlighten them.  So please pay attention.

According to the “Terms and Agreements” of the end user license agreement that you click to be granted webspace on MySpace, most of you seem to be breaking Rule #1, which says you must be 14 years old.  Rule #2 has to do with posting copyrighted materials (like songs) to your page.

I won’t try to tell you, but rather let you read this for your self.  Just incase it’s blocked at school, I have pictures below too. Be sure to visit away from school if you want to read the entire contents.

I’m not going to report anyone–but rather just ask you to “do the right thing–make good choices.” If you have a page on this social networking site, you are not adhering to the guidelines set forth to be a user.

Okay–now I’ll get off my soapbox.

Your teacher-librarian, Mrs. Nelson

msrule1.jpg msrule2.jpg

5 Comments to “MySpace rule-breakers”

1.   Tyler G. | November 12th, 2007 at 2:07 pm     

well that does make sense but some people get premission to be on those websites like that like myself. as long as they know the rules of online safety rules and not be a total dee dee dee they’ll be safe
    Rock hard,
    live free
    blades

2.   Daniel | November 12th, 2007 at 2:08 pm     

As Ty Ty Tanic said, some people do get permission to go on websites like myspace.

3.   Daniel | November 12th, 2007 at 2:13 pm     

I agree with the age range with myspace with people who are in the age range of 11-13. People who are 11-13 can be on there because of the years Tom puts on the sign up page. But people that are turn 13 years old in 2007 but are still 13 in 2008 can be on myspace because they are in that year of the age limit.

4.   Anonymous | November 30th, 2007 at 4:26 pm     

I don’t think that having a myspace page is a good thing. Many bad things can happen over online conversations with strangers. I don’t have a page myself.